Here are the steps for backflushing your machine:
- Place blind filter basket in your portafilter holder.
- Place detergent in blind filter (we use 1/4 teaspoon powder or one tablet of Cafiza).
- Place the portafilter securely into the group.
- Move brew lever up or push brew button for about 10 seconds.
- Move brew lever down to depressurize the group. Detergent will vent into the drip tray.
- Wait 10 seconds, then repeat steps 4 & 5. Repeat cycle (10 seconds on, 10 seconds off) 5 times.
- Remove the portafilter, rinse off any remaining detergent, then repeat this entire process without detergent.
- Replace the blind basket with the regular basket, then make a shot of espresso and discard to season the grouphead.
- Remove the portafilter, move the brew lever up or push brew button and scrub the grouphead screen with a wet towel or grouphead brush.
- Backflush your machine after 35-50 shots to keep it nice and clean.
NOTE: Be sure your machine has a 3-way solenoid valve before attempting to backflush. All of the machines we sell at Clive Coffee can be backflushed, but if you own a different machine you should check your user's manual before attempting to backflush.