Replace Silvia Gasket
You should change the gasket on your Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machineís group head every year or so, along with the shower screen. Most cafes will switch out their gaskets, portafilter baskets and screens roughly every quarter. Home use doesnít put so much wear on those parts, but an annual routine will ensure a well-functioning espresso machine.
Here's how to do it:
- Loosen the screw in the shower screen and remove the screen and the brass plate in order to gain easier access to the gasket. A dispersion washer will also come off with the screw, screen and plate; be sure to keep all these parts in the proper order and orientation for reassembly. Be aware that these parts will be very hot if the machine was recently on.
- Use a pick, awl or flathead screwdriver to pry the gasket out of the group head. This may take some effort and an older gasket may come out in pieces. Make sure that you donít leave behind any part of the old gasket.
- With your new gasket ready, place it into the cavity in the group head with any logos or lettering facing up. Push it up as far as you can around all sides. If you canít get it all the way in, donít worry; weíll take care of that in a few steps.
- Replace the brass plate, dispersion washer and the screen into the group head, tightening the screw with your fingers as much as possible.
- With the screen back in place and the gasket in as far as you can get it, engage the portafilter and crank it over so that it pushes the gasket the rest of the way in.