Customer Service: Warranty Information
Clive Coffee Warranty Policies
If you encounter a problem with your equipment purchase from Clive Coffee, we are here to help. Please read through these policies to understand how we will take care of any issue that arises with your machine.
To receive warranty troubleshooting and technical support from Clive Coffee, you must provide proof of purchase in the form of your original order number. For orders placed online or over the phone, this information would have been emailed to you at order confirmation and also included on the packing slip.
What the warranty covers:
Replacement parts and labor costs to correct defects in materials and workmanship are covered for a period of one year from the original delivery date.
Shipping costs related to warranty replacements or repairs will be covered by Clive Coffee for the first 30 days from the time you received your machine. This means we will pay for UPS ground shipment costs both ways. After 30 days, shipment costs are the responsibility of the customer.
What the warranty does not cover:
Please keep in mind that general "wear and tear" on parts that are subject to deterioration due to normal use, such as gaskets, filters, grinder burrs, plastic parts like bean hoppers, and so on, are not covered by this warranty.
Important: The following circumstances are not covered under Clive Coffee’s warranty policy:
- Problems related to water damage, poor water quality, and scaling. This is by far the most common cause of espresso machine failure. Please be sure to decalcify your machine on a regular basis to prevent these issues, which will not be covered by warranty.
- Products made of glass, such as Chemex, Hario, Bee House, Yama, ACF, and Pigeon Toe are excluded from the 1 year warranty. Our warranty on these products covers manufacturer’s defects only, not breakage (unless it arrived damaged from shipping). Please call us as soon as possible if your order arrives broken for replacement.
- Products for which the applicable serial number has been removed or altered.
- Any product that has been damaged or rendered defective as a result of accident, abuse, misuse, lack of reasonable and necessary maintenance/cleaning, neglect, faulty installation, mishandling, damage during shipment, line power surge or any external causes.
- Operation of product outside the parameters stated in the user documentation that shipped with product.
- Usage of parts not manufactured by original manufacturer, including installation of PID devices.
- Modification or service by anyone other than Clive Coffee.
- Acts of God, such as lightning, flood, or fire.
- The cost of installations of routine maintenance items, such as gaskets, o-rings, grinding burrs, and other normal wear and tear items.
- Usage of product in a commercial environment.
- Shipping costs to ship product back and forth to Clive Coffee, except for the first 30 days from receipt via UPS ground.
- On-site labor or labor at a facility other than Clive Coffee.
- Expedited shipping cost of parts to customer for self-repair.
What an "Extended one year warranty" covers and what it excludes:
Extended one year warranty has the same coverage as the one year warranty just extending the warranty for an additional year.
- Customers invoice which does not state "Extended one year warranty" for the appropriate line item on the original invoice are not covered for the additional year.
- Extended one year warranty period is not transferable.
- Extended one year warranty expires two years from the date of purchase of the machine.
Below are some important points to remember when obtaining warranty service.
- Again, it does not apply to wear and tear items such as gaskets, O-rings, portafilter handles, plastic parts such as bean hoppers, etc.
- For the first 30 days of valid warranty service, we will pay for shipping in both directions up to our cost of shipping via UPS Ground. Expedited shipping costs above those for UPS Ground, such as UPS Next Day Air, will not be reimbursed.
- If after inspection of the machine, we find the machine is in proper working order (operator error), we will not reimburse shipping costs and the customer must pay for return shipping.
- After 30 days, the customer is responsible for shipping costs both ways.
- In some cases, we may send a replacement machine instead of repairing the original machine. We reserve the right to determine whether we will repair or replace your equipment.
How to obtain warranty service:
All warranty work is done by Clive Coffee or the importer of the machine (such as Chris Coffee Service and Rancilio NA). Some manufacturers, such as Baratza Grinders do perform their own warranty service.
When you call us please note that we will try to troubleshoot the issue over the phone, so please have the machine in front of you so that you can perform a few basic diagnostic actions. If we are unable to resolve your issue we will provide you with detailed information on how to return your machine to our service department.
For additional points regarding shipping responsibilities, please refer to the rules for our return policy.
What you should do when you first receive your machine:
At Clive Coffee, we invest the necessary time to insure that your equipment arrives safely and in good working order, so most equipment is bench tested by our technicians before shipment. We also use quality packing materials, and use double boxing when necessary.
We advise you to inspect your purchase when it first arrives for damage during shipment.
Please inspect your package when you receive it from UPS. If there is evidence of exterior damage to the shipping carton and the delivery person is present, ask them to note it on their delivery manifest and request a damage claim form. Should it be necessary for you to submit a damage claim the notation on the manifest may prove to be very helpful. If you find that your machine is damaged from shipping, please call UPS at 1-800-742-5877 to report the damage. You must also contact us within 5 business days. Make sure that you keep all packaging (boxes, shipping labels, packing material, etc.) as UPS will need to inspect not only the machine but the packaging as well. For UPS terms and conditions click here . Once we receive a claim number from UPS, we will be more than happy to take care of the problem to your satisfaction.
Please note the following:
- Grinders are often tested by the manufacturer before leaving the factory. Some traces of coffee grinds are normal and does not mean the machine is used or a returned item.
- Some minor water splashes may occur during our bench testing. Unless otherwise stated (next-to-new or refurbished), all purchases at Clive Coffee are new from the manufacturer. We do not sell returned machines as new.
How to obtain a Return Authorization:
Before returning an espresso machine or grinder, you must call or email us to obtain a Return Authorization Agreement (RAA) from our company.
Once we have received your request, we will send you additional details regarding the return procedure, such as how to prepare the machine for shipping and packaging instructions. You should return the (RAA) to us if you understand and agree to the terms and conditions of the statement; we will then issue a Return Authorization (RA) number, which must appear on the outside of the box.
Please note: We will not except returns without an (RA) number.
Your responsibilities when returning merchandise
Below are some important points to remember when preparing a return.
- To protect your right to file a damage claim, you are responsible for shipping merchandise back to us. We do not issue call tags since that would make us the responsible shipper.
- You must properly drain the water from the machine before packing. We will include instructions along with your Return Authorization number. If you have questions, please call our service department for assistance.
- You pay the cost of shipping it back to us. We will reimburse this cost for warranty repairs in the first 30 days from the date of receipt. Note: The amount we will reimburse you will not exceed the published cost of shipping at www.ups.com for ground service. UPS Stores will charge you a premium for packaging and handling that we will not reimburse you for. Expedited shipping costs above those for UPS Ground, such as UPS Next Day Air, will not be reimbursed either.
- Save the packing material and its original carton(s)! We take great care to package your purchase properly, please reuse them in the event it is necessary to ship your machine back to us.
- Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, APO/military addresses or outside of the US is not covered by the warranty; in these cases, the customer is responsible for shipping costs in both directions.
Merchandise is inspected when it is received to verify:
- All original items are included (manuals, packing material, accessories, etc.).
- The equipment is clean and still in "like new condition with no sign of abuse, misuse, missing parts, or missing manuals, etc.
We reserve the right to charge a 20% restocking fee if the above conditions are not met. The cost of any promotional and/or included products (such as coffee, for example) will also be deducted from you original purchase price.
How Long Will it Take for a Warranty Repair?
We will process your warranty issue as quickly as possible. Once we receive your machine in our repair center, we commit to repairing and returning your machine to you within 30 business days.